Engineering works are due to close the line between Yeovil and Gillingham from 00:05 on the 13th to 04:00 on the 22nd June 2020. Passenger numbers are currently low on the West of England line due to the Coronavirus outbreak and Government advice to avoid non-essential rail travel. As such, we have chosen to take advantage of this reduced passenger flow to improve the safety and reliability of this part of our network ahead of any anticipated increased in journeys as future easements to the lockdown are introduced.
With regards to the safety of our colleagues during the present Coronavirus outbreak, please rest assured that our people come first and we are committed to safe working environments for them. We recognise our important role in supporting the economy and society through this incredibly challenging period. While you may see a lot of workers on site throughout the duration of the project, we have adopted all best practice measures on protective equipment, health advice and working practices.
What are we doing?
We will be stabilising a cutting to the west of Templecombe Station. This work is critical in helping to lift two emergency speed restrictions that were imposed on the railway line due to a landslip last winter and will help prevent any further issues and keep the railway safe.
There will also be works alongside the line closure aimed at reinforcing the embankments.
As the work gets underway, please follow our @NetworkRailWssx Twitter account for the latest updates.
What do you need to know about the works through Templecombe?
- The railway line is closed from the 13th to the 22nd June 2020 (04:00)
- There will be no direct services from London Waterloo to Exeter Monday – Saturday during the works so passengers will be required to change at Salisbury and continue on a diverted service via Westbury.
- Train services will not call at Templecombe or Sherborne for the duration of the works but a rail replacement bus will operate from Gillingham to Yeovil Junction on a 2-hourly basis which may result in extended journey times for passengers using these stations.
- A rail shuttle will operate between Salisbury and Gillingham
- Full details on the train service for the duration of the works are available on the South Western Railways website at https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/planned-improvements/templecombe-engineering-works
Follow up works
After the closure, we will also carry out lineside follow up works. These works are essential to ensure the successful completion of the project, however the line will remain open during this time. These works will take place as follows:
22nd June to 14th August 2020
The site will then be decommissioned throughout August and into September.
Thank you for your continued support.